Friday, August 15, 2008

Monthly Organizing Round-Up - Entryway

I'm posting a bit early this month my completion of the Monthly Organizing Round-Up from Org Junkie for two reasons. 1) I was on vacation this week, therefore allowing me time to get the entryway done early and 2) The end of the month is going to be very busy so I figured I would take advantage of the "down" time to get it posted. Now this month was a bit tricky for me, as the challenge was for Entryways/Mudrooms. Well a mudroom is something that I just don't have. Not sure if it's a "California" thing or what but the two houses I have owned and all the ones I have visited in this state simply do not have a mudroom. I guess it's just not on the list of pre-requisites for home builders. LOL!! Can you sense my jealousy of not having a mudroom? After seeing the mudrooms posted on Org Junkie I am a bit jealous that I don't have a mudroom. The other option for me was the front entrance, but there is nothing in the entrance at all, I promise you that. The front door opens and BAM you are in the living room. That left me with my only other option, which in a sense is the "entryway" for us. Through the garage. When you enter the house from the garage you are smack dab in the laundry room. I only call it a room because it has a door, but really it's just a laundry pass through space. It had a lot of potential though as it looked like a mess before I tackled it.


This is a shelf above the washer/dryer. It goes the length of the room and is a good height for all the necessities of a laundry room.
The other half of the shelf. My supply gathering spot. I used to have the supplies in a container, but needed the container for the kids closets, as I was short one basket and the one that used to house my cleaning supplies was a perfect match, so off it went.
(check here for their closets Taylor's Room & Cody's Room)

The side of the washer/dryer. So much potential what is that chair doing in this space though when the garage is literally on the other side of that door?
Ahhh...The aftermath of a day of FUN!!!!!

Looking into the laundry room from the hallway. So peaceful!!!

Purchased a container to put the iron and starch in. Makes it look cleaner and nothing better than having things that go together in one place. I was also able to bring some craft stuff in to fill some of the space on the shelf and finish off the room.

The other half of the shelf. Brought in some baskets for sponges, cleaners, and light bulbs. Also, have a nice little nook on the side for the home improvement books.

The chair that didn't belong made it's way into the garage, where it does belong. Added a hanging storage rack to hold dryer sheets, extra soap cups, and hooks for the hangers.

And of course, with each project there is always something that ends up being my favorite transformation. This is exactly what the laundry room needed...A bar to hang those extra hangers on, nice and organized and easy to get to when folding all the clothes. For this transformation I purchased a tension shower rod, easy to install and extremely functional.

There you have my completed laundry "room". I love doing laundry in my new space.

2 comments:

Kylee said...

You have inspired me! I really need a laundry room makeover too. Isn't it funny how just having a cleaner more organized space actually makes you WANT to be in there?

Amy V. said...

I have to agree with you, the hanging rod is a great addition. I'm stowing the baskets for cleaning supplies idea for a future organizing project. (I just love seeing all the ideas on these roundups!) Great job!