Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cody's First Stitches

It's times like these when being a parent is the toughest thing out there...Last night I got home from work and it was just like any typical day. The kids were excited and greeted me with hugs. I began my nightly ritual of taking off my ring and necklace and getting into more comfortable clothes. The kids are usually on my ankles this whole time telling me about their day. I love this part of my day being with the kids and hearing their stories. This is when the night took a turn for the worse though.
As I was taking off my necklace Cody was sitting on our bed but for some reason decided he wanted to get off and go get something....well in his excitement he fell off the bed and hit the rocking chair in our room at just the right spot and ended up with a giant gash to the right of his eye. At first glance I knew this was going to a "in need of stitches" cut. I immediately yelled for Jeremy who came running to the room scooped up Cody and held a towel to get the bleeding to stop.
Taylor was a basket case...she thought her brother was dying. In probably what was the sweetest moment I've ever seen from my precious little girl the following words were flowing out of her mouth over and over "brother please don't die, is Cody going to die, I'll miss my brother, Cody please be ok". My eyes tear up just recalling the innocence of my little girl. Capitalizing on the benefit of having my parents (thanks Mom) just a few streets over we were able to drive Taylor over to my parents house without taking extra time so Jeremy and I could focus on getting Cody to the doctor and taken care of.
After dropping Taylor off we headed straight to Kaiser and within 45 minutes Cody was checked in, stitched up, and on our way home. Cody did awesome while he was getting stitches. Crying only while getting the first shot, then after that just simply letting daddy know he didn't like the poky thing that the doctor was using. Six stitches later Cody now has two new nicknames from Taylor, Red Eyeball Head (really silly one that she just basically made up) and Frankenstein (which is of course more obvious).
When we got home from Kaiser my mom had already taken Taylor back to our house to get her ready for bed and we were all in for the second sweetest moment of the night. While Taylor was at my parents house she made Cody a Get Well card and a Get Well Book. The book ended with Taylor and Cody holding hands, complete with a band aid on Cody's head.
Boys will be boys and I am pretty prepared to know that this event is just one of many that I'm sure we will face over our lifetime as parents. But that sure doesn't make it any easier.

Even with stitches, still my happy boy

Final Score
Rocking Chair: 1
Cody: 0

Peace Out...Cub Scout!!!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Poor guy! I hope it heals fast!

Kylee said...

Ouch! Poor Cody and poor Taylor too!